Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A different character: A new piece of the story

The key to a show that people can relate to is the character and the new quarks they have to offer...
 I need to write a pilot, or some sort of Show-like program.  I have to say that although I'm unsure of the story's path, I know the type of characters that I intend to have, and I think that's more important.  After all would I have spent time ever watching "Ally McBeal' a show about dreary lives and sad music if the characters weren't well written, and worth relating to?  Absolutely not, generally I have no interest in such a thing.  However these characters found individual status as well as a level of group character that appealed to a wide range of people. Making a ridiculous situation half the time, and a very serious situation for the other half, makes for a drastic enough balance so the subject can be literally anything.  
But let's face it- there are too many shows out there that try to be all about office antics, or comedy that's all about the college world- yes fuck the real world -we don't have to be in it yet!  (That's where Undeclared failed to succeed)  I love the movies that apatow productions makes, but their serious successes rely on their ability to appeal to what's actually happening to people, and just being real.  The fact about undeclared is that with all the college hoopla and making light of any serious money situations is that they 'really' don't just go away by the end of the show.  Undeclared could have really pioneered the sarcastic nature of extending probems into very sarcastic smart solutions that allowed the characters to grow in a more life-centered direction.
So where do I go with a show that I'd like to write?  Well it doesn't matter as long as I remember the rules- THE RULES!

No comments: