Friday, May 23, 2008

They're replicas of people I've already known...

It's always weird as shit when you run into a person that looks exactly like someone you've known...
It's happened to me in the past where you'll see someone that reminds you exactly of another person you were once close too.  The scary part is when you get to know this new person and they act exactly the same way, giving you free reign over their reactions-because you already know what it will be.  I do my best to avoid these repeats in the interest of meeting new people.  However, I never realized just how useful it could be in a situation where being a step ahead on the actions of others is always in your favor. 
My first week here I was in a meeting being ignored about my ideas in the digital realm (as a creative who is supposed to shut up and write something clever) when this slightly mousy media strategist got all excited about his brill idea to blow away our idea by giving away something cool that was free- making him look smarter (in his eyes).  The account people that we were trying to sell on the creative looked intrigued by him, but there are few things that bother me more than someone who held information from you in the spirit of presenting on behalf of his team.  What is so striking about this person is that he is exactly like a friend Alex I used to have in highschool.  He would be really quiet most of the time, until he intended to sound smarter than you or the group.  I would always take it upon myself to shut down these people- it's all about control whether I intended that or not.  The thing is, it didn't matter who he was trying to get to, he would always shut up and listen to me, and then drool a little because I verbally beat him.  That's the thing about not just men (women too), but men especially- they want to be beaten- it presents a challenge.  
So now I sit here in my office widdle-ing away at my crazy writing scheme for the idea of exponential fears- picture it- generic event topic like a wedding- plus a crazy concept like bikers at the republican convention- then create an exponential story line.  It makes for some interesting writing.  However sitting here not doing some great media concepts to go along with my great writing means one thing- that mousy little fucker that reminds me of Alex, and his team are doing these things that would strengthen the creative- away from me, out of my control, where I can't beat him.  It's time to break down the cubicle walls, get to guys like this and beat them, maybe that's really the way to reach people who don't want to combine departments- beat them, join them, and create some great god-damn work.- well back to it.  I have some crazy characters to write, and some drooling nerds to break down.

No comments: